09 junio 2006

My Africa

Last year 2005 I spent my Christmas holidays in South Africa. It was summer there, in the southern hemisphere, instead of here winter in December. I had the not valuable opportunity to see with my eyes that incredible lands and peoples. Nature there was really wild, for a ‘whitey European man’ like me. All times without exception when I heard the sounds of the birds, I always looked for the mobile cell phone which I supposed sounding. Ha, ha, ha!

Perhaps South Africa is the most well-known place of Africa among modern people. Once the reviled home of the hated racist system of apartheid disappeared, it is now a vibrant multicultural country coming really into its own. With a population of more than 45 million people, four major religions and at least 11 spoken languages, this country is nothing if not diverse: the Nguni people, comprising the Zulu, Xhosa, Ndebele and Swazi; the Sotho-Tswana people, comprising the Southern, Northern and Western Sotho (Tswana); the Tsonga, the Venda, Indians, Chinese and Afrikaners Europeans five centuries there which call themselves ‘the only white African tribe’.


There is much for a range to explore in South Africa, everyone from the timid observer to the daring adventurer. South Africa is a land of amazing natural beauty: lush vineyards and rocky coasts on the Cape of Good Hope; fertile farmland in Mpumalanga; snow-topped mountains on the Drakensberg mountain range and even hills or beaches to choose from in KwaZulu-Natal. Of course, wildlife is a major draw, with more than 300 game and nature reserves to suit any kind of animal lover.

No hay comentarios: